Finding Affordable Housing for Veterans and Their Families in Hawaii

Are you a veteran or a family member of a veteran living in Hawaii and looking for affordable housing? The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) have several programs that can help you find the housing you need. The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program is one of the most comprehensive programs available. It combines rental assistance with the HUD Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) for homeless veterans with clinical and case management services provided by the VA. This program allows veterans to stay in their housing for up to 24 months, with the goal of transitioning them to permanent housing.

The Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program is another option for veterans and their families seeking affordable housing. This program provides short-term counseling, information and referral assistance for VA applications, forms, and appeals, disclosure assistance about VA benefits, and burial assistance. Nonprofit agencies and community cooperatives use SSVF funds to quickly house homeless veterans and their families and prevent others from becoming homeless, providing limited-time support services that promote housing stability. In addition to these programs, HUD also provides vouchers to help homeless veterans rent privately owned housing through public housing authorities.

Dealerships also collaborate with community organizations to connect veterans to employment, housing, and additional social services to promote housing stability. To find out more about these programs and other resources available in your area, contact the local Veterans Services directory of the Hawaii Office of Veterans Services. You will need to submit an application for a Hawaii driver's license or a complete Hawaii identification card and proof of eligibility.

Leave Message

Required fields are marked *